We know that you are going to make the most of the self-catering facilities in your cottage or lodge, but a holiday wouldn’t be a holiday without an occasional treat. With lakes all around, what more beautiful surroundings could you have, to enjoy a meal out?
Whether you want to order in and enjoy a meal overlooking the water there is so much choice. From taking on a hearty breakfast to set you up for the active day ahead, a lunch time snack or a slap-up evening meal out, these are some of our favourites.
Cakes, Coffee & Yummy Stuff
- The Lodge at Lake 12 is one of those beautiful places that makes the perfect waterside setting for a family treat. Head over there after that action packed day on the water for a feast of delicious food, savoury and sweet bites or a freshly ground coffee. All are made to order right on the lake and take the opportunity to watch all the action on the water from a lovely lakeside decking. Been out on the bikes or walking with dirty wellies, there are also free ‘puppuccinos’ available for all dog visitors.
All Day Breakfasts, Brunch & Cakes
- We had to include Relish at the Gateway Café on the list, being right alongside the Orion Holidays offices and a big favourite with us all. Enjoy a friendly welcome, homemade dishes, breakfasts, many brunch options, brioche burgers and tasty lunch specials. These include scrummy salad bowls, homemade pastries and fresh cakes. Eat inside or out overlooking the lake and always, those picture-perfect views! Open 9.00-5.00pm, no booking required. See our website for your 15% discount at the Gateway Café. We love it and we know you will too!
- For a delicious brekkie and relaxed brunch dining served between 9.00 and 3.00pm, Jacks Brunch Kitchen in Cirencester will be a superb choice for all the family. Good food at reasonable prices is their promise. Delicious comes as standard!
- JK’s Bistro is a great venue and has been described in reviews as a hidden gem. It is little wonder with its lovely garden and Alpacas in an adjoining field. It is perfect for breakfast and brunch, through to lunch and with cakes and smoothies and milkshakes for the time in between! JK’s Bistro is licensed with choices from ham and eggs to the popular Banh Mi, a street food Asian classic, a real treat for the taste buds. Cyclists are welcome.
- Dragonfly Café and Visitor Centre is located at the Wiltshire Wilife Trust’s Lower Moor Nature Reserve, and is open Wednesday to Sunday, 10.00am – 4.00pm. It offers a superb glass fronted tearoom with great views over the lake, great for seeing the wildlife, tea/coffee and delicious homemade cakes.
There are many very good other local cafes and tea rooms around the Cotswold Water Park.
Making a Meal of it
- Waterside Kitchen & Bar offer delicious Asian Fusion tapas in a lovely lakeside setting. The diverse menu from the land, farm and sea offers a delightful fusion of international and regional delicacies. These all reflect the rich tapestry of flavours that define the latest fusion in contemporary cuisine.
- For a lovely meal overlooking the lake, lunch time, evenings and Sunday lunch times, The Old Boathouse Restaurant & Bar, part of De Vere, Cotswold Water Park, is just alongside The Gateway Centre. It has wonderful views out over the water and offers everything from sharing platters and lighter meals to all the traditional favourites. Check out their website for opening times and it is advisable to book.
- At Spring Lake, you will find the popular Lakeside Bar & Restaurant. The lake is used for water skiing and wakeboarding, so you will be able to enjoy watching all the action on the water while you enjoy a meal on the deck or in the beer garden. Four legged friends are welcome, but this place is popular, so make sure you book. Check with them for opening times.
Local Cotswold Water Park Pubs & Restaurants
There are some great places to eat and drink at a number of Cotswolds country pubs in and around the Water Park. Look out for them as you explore the area, we love:
- The Crown at Cerney Wick – Introducing Asha Indian Kitchen, an Anglo-Indian Fusion Dining Experience now available exclusively at The Crown.
- The Bakers Arms in Somerford Keynes – lovely traditional family run village pub with good pub grub and Sunday roasts
- The Old George Inn at Clarks Hay, South Cerney – A great pub right at the centre of the Cotswold Water Park which features the Cotswold Blaze offering wood fired Pizza’s and kebabs to eat in or take away, all cooked in an old fire engine.
- The Eliot Arms is a lovely old style Inn in the village of South Cerney, it bubbles with atmosphere and a vibrant buzz and offers tantalising menus and a friendly service,
Takeaways in the Water Park
Many local restaurants in the Water Park offer hungry customers a takeaway option!
- Another favourite with Orion holidaymakers is Pizzeria 720°, beside the Gateway Café. You can get your 15% off any pizza you collect with the link on our website. Perfect for a family evening on the deck of your holiday home watching the sun go down or if you can eat ‘al fresco’ overlooking the lake. Drinks can be ordered from The Hideout with your pizza and you can enjoy a free soft drink with each pint!
- South Cerney Tandoori Balti House – Indian Tandoori Balti house and takeaway in the village of South Cerney.
Being in one of the most tranquil and beautiful parts of the country does not mean being cut off from the best in food and drink. There are plenty of excellent options nearby. Check out our visitor guest guide to see what is available locally to your holiday home. At Orion Holidays we would love to hear what your favourite is!